Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Finally, A Format!

OK. I've been floundering out here. You know it, I know it. The reason for the flopping and gill gasping is, obviously, I have no format.

No more. I'm stealing the basic Livejournal format. Why not just Livejournal? Because I don't like being forced into that format. It might be nice to force myself to adhere to the format, but I don't like being forced by someone else.

So the format begins today and I'll try to post as much as possible. Cool? OK.

Today: Life, Politics, Movies

Life - I haven't gone on about this nearly enough but my daughter Tessa doesn't sleep. She'll nod, she'll doze, she'll snooze, she'll get really tired, but she will not sleep. Which means I don't sleep. Which means I get cranky, mean and overly emotional. It sounds strange, but you try sleeping 4 1/2 hours a night in hour-and-a-half intervals and see what happens to you.

The worst part is I get mad at Tessa, who is blameless and helpless. Last night, after an hour of bright eyes in a darkened room, I finally threw her binky as hard as I could across the living room into the kitchen. It hasn't been found. Losing control is not the mark of a responsible man, but rather a manchild undeserving of so many things.

As a result, today has been one of those "what's the point" kind of days. I can't, for the life of me, feel like I mean anything or am anything to anyone. It's a normal ebb of serotonin or noraepenephron in the brain, but it still feels awful. I also had a day where I made a couple mistakes at work and heard about it. It's strange, I'm very busy at work and I don't feel like I'm pulling any weight. Enough bitching. I've had some great moments today, especially with Emaline who has a cold and sounds like Cathleen Turner. It's so cute, and we'll see how sleep goes tonight.

Politics - Morgan Spurlock always struck me as a guy with big ideas who's ability might be a little below his ambition. But mark me, in the next few months you're going to be hearing a ton about good Mr. Spurlock (who I met about two years ago and genuinely liked).

Rumor has it he started a movie called "The Search for Bin Laden" or some such, and took a 15-minute clip to a film festival for bidding. The Weinstein Company paid Spurlock 25 million dollars on the strength of those 15 minutes. The question is - what could possibly elicit such a giant paycheck? Could the guy who made "Supersize Me" actually have an interview with the terrorist who masterminded 9-11?

One of two things will happen in the next little bit. Either Spurlock is lying or has been deceived and his career is OVER (and I can't stress the word OVER enough), or he actually found Bin Laden, doing what the supposed bulk of the US intelligence agencies and military is unable to do. Chances are great this is nothing, but imagine for a second what happens if this is real. The implications are layered and huge, and everyone in the country will have an opinion.

I hope it's real just because it's unprecedented. I also think Spurlock is a well meaning guy. If he's lying, I'll be first in line to spank him with a paddle. If it's real, hoooooooly shhhhhiiiiiiiit!

Movies - Is anyone else totally digging the fact that the words "Tim Burton" and "Oscar" are being mentioned rather frequently in the movie press? I absolutely love it. I've been a big fat Burton fan for years, and while it may have gotten a little "goth" there for a minute or two, largely I've been a fan because of his storytelling ability. A friend of mine pointed out, not incorrectly that Burton might be the "world's prettiest set dresser" but argued he wasn't much of a filmmaker. I say it takes someone with an innate sense of storytelling to see a movie in a mess of a story like "Beetlejuice." I think he's solid with streaks of inspired and it looks like "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" might net him Oscar gold.

It just makes me smile, is all.

No comments: