Thursday, January 31, 2008

Lost Season Premier


I'm getting "Lost" is going to go one of two directions - hot and cold and really hot again, not unlike season 3, or the strike is going to leave us all with a gigantic case of build up with no release. Hell, blue balls of light might actually descend from the sky and we'd never figure out what they were about. How's that for a metaphor.

Overall, good season opener though I was disappointed in three things:

1) It didn't begin with a close-up of an eyeball. You're consistent for three seasons and then give me a pile of mangos and papayas? What the hell?

2) Sawyer not just getting soft, which is OK, but almost completely dispensing with his trademark smarm

3) Jack for pulling the trigger. This bears a bit more explanation. I understand that Matthew Fox originally read for Sawyer. I understand he's conflicted and a little bit of an egotist. I understand he doesn't even want to be who he is but you can't set up Jack as a cold-blooded killer when you've spent three seasons establishing his heroic, yet tortured nature. His pulling the trigger was a bad and inconsistent character move in my opinion.

Onto the good stuff.

-A Hurley episode is never bad. His cannonball was great, his explanation of Charlie's absence to Claire, emotional. His future...I'm a little more lukewarm on that, although it was nice to see him kick Jack's trigger-pulling behind in Horse. And leading police on a high speed chase.

-Rose and Bernard had a few cute scenes. When she called him Rambo, I smiled.

-I knew Charlie wasn't gone for good.

-Ben is really growing on me. He's sort of the voice of reason saying unreasonable things - a paradox with eyes like a lizard and the tongue of a serpant. Nice character.

Of course, "Lost" could do about anything and I'd probably invest in the next few seasons, but it's nice to see it getting off to a slightly hotter than lukewarm start.

No comments: