Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Summer Movie List No. 3 - WALL * E

To say Pixar is brilliant is almost a cliche at this point. They've yet to have a true bomb, with the great "Cars" the closest thing - and it wasn't bad, just not up to snuff in terms of the rest of Pixar's classic library. An arguably unblemished track record of the best animation and storytelling of the generation is reason enough to look forward to whatever it is the wizards over there throw at us next.

But after last summer's "Ratatouille," which was the most deeply resonant for me emotionally, I'd look forward to Pixar's remake of Jesus Christ Superstar starring a group of dancing turds after what that group did with a story about a rat who can cook. Frankly, they understand beats and layers and art-gallery quality animation so well, I'm pretty sure they can do anything with anything.

So imagine my delight when they announced their next movie would be, by all accounts, a silent film. There's hardly a word in the trailer (and the words, let's face it, are reeeeealy cute), and the concept Pixar stripped of dialogue...very cool.

Quickly, yes, I know it's a cute robot movie, and yes I know the trailer is kind of full of cliches and yes, I know it's a "kids movie." My contention, as someone who's sat through several Pixar films literally dozens of times with my girls, is that they understand storytelling in a preternatural way and that talent transcends genre. I also would argue that all of Pixar's ruminations on the human condition (Toy Story is about innocence and impending death - really! -, Monsters Inc. is about sacrificing for family, Finding Nemo is about over protectiveness, Ratatouille and The Incredibles is about using your gifts unabashedly) have a kiddie hook, hell, they need a kiddie hook. Again, the folks who did "Ratatouille" could do Hamlet with cute robots and make it work.

Specifically, here's what gives me hope about this movie:

-If there's an environmental message, it does not look heavy handed, thank God. If nothing else, it will be fun to see robots use our garbage for shenanigans.
-The production design of the main character is great, but the color palate is particularly inventive. It's the second sci-fi movie this summer behind Speed Racer to employ really bright colors and I think the film will movie from sepia to bright choices.
-I have no idea what the movie is about. What movie this summer can you say that about?
-It's somewhat refreshing to not have to deal with big named voice talent. The further away I can get from Jerry Seinfeld voicing a bee, the better I'll be.
-Cute isn't necessarily bad all the time.

So I'm really looking forward to WALL * E (I don't know how to make that cute little dot in Blogger), and chances are I'll see it, and then see it again and again and again against my will. But it won't be. It's artistry, plain and simple, and I'll fight the crowds for a peak.

No comments: