Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Baby Round Up


Take a look at that. If you had told me a mere 10 years ago that this was a possibility I'd have chuckled like a loon. "Are you kidding?" I'd say. "I'm shiftless, I don't have any money...I go to movies all the time. I like the girl in that picture, but we're just having a good time right now and...kids? I really doubt it."
Look at that. It's hard to find the adjectives to describe how amazing that is, but it's not lost on my just how amazing it is.
Tessa Danielle Bockoven, born at 2:02 p.m. Saturday, November 3 was born at half time of the Nebraska Cornhuskers worst defensive performance in nearly six decades. She was a product of planning, as much as a child can be a product of planning. Emotionally, a strange thing happened to me as my second child gestated.
With Emaline, my first daughter, I had ample time to be very gooey and melodramatic about her appearance. I'd speculate about how I was preparing for fatherhood, how I had a philosophy about my role in her life. I went on and on ad naseum, I'm sure. Then she was thrust into the world in a pile of biological goo and I began the hardest month of my life. She hardly slept, so we hardly slept. She messed her diaper, we got on the job training in changing them. We devoted more time to her and other parts of our life withered on the vine.
With Tessa, it's already different. We're confident in our ability to keep the child alive, which is something. She's an addition instead of a paradigm shift. Yes, we're not sleeping and rediscovering our time management and diaper changing skills, but life isn't so different, it's just...more. More family, more begging for your attention, more to consider.
I'll take it. I'll cherish it. She's amazing and my wife is amazing for pushing her out with minimal pain management. It's amazing she's here and it's amazing I'm here with her.

1 comment:

atomicweightofcheese said...

She's absolutely gorgeous Mike :) Thanks for bringing her down to the dungeon to show her off.